Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Back to the Storyboard!



For the first time in two years, I’m getting ready to submit a book query. All my chapters have been edited and re-edited. The story flows well. All but one or two of the loose ends have been tied up — and those left are meant to leave the reader to wonder and imagine what will possibly be coming next. And finally, I’m about finished polishing my query and proposal.

It’s both exciting and intimidating. On one hand I feel as if I’m setting out on a grand adventure with no idea where I’ll end up and no promise it will end in happily ever after. On the other hand, I could compare it to trying to land a dream job in our cruddy economy. All I have to do to see the “competition” I’m up against is search any number of the writing hashtags used on Twitter. There are some pretty amazing, dedicated writers out there right now.

And yet, I find myself incredibly inspired. I believe in my work. And from what I’ve heard back from some of my test readers, my writing is engaging, the story is intriguing and fun, and they’re really looking forward to holding a hardbound copy in their hands instead of having a Word Doc on their computer.

The thing I keep asking myself though is, what do I do with myself while I’m sending out queries and waiting for responses?

For one, I’ve had a chance to catch up on some of the books that have been piling up next to my bed the past few months. I also have a few non-fiction writing projects I’m in the middle of. But lately I’ve spent more time in the business side of writing than the creative side. Between edits, letters, pitches, and blogs, it’s been months since I wrote anything brand new (other than taking a few notes here and there that is). Sure, I’ve spent the last few months with the characters in my book, but it’s been revisiting the same story. Like any hooked reader, I keep wondering…what happens next?

So that’s what I aim to find out. I’m dusting off some old notes, refreshing my memory regarding outlines and histories, and going back to writing fresh scenes. Really, what better time is there to start the next chapter then when I’m still on the high of completing a major project?

Oh, and I just realized that there’s an added bonus…it’ll keep my mind occupied while waiting for a response to the queries that are about to go out!

No comments:

Post a Comment