Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Inspiration Comes to Those Who Look



Yesterday I took a walk purposefully looking for inspiration. I was with several others who were talking about a TV show I don’t watch, which meant I needed to focus a little harder than I would have had I gone walking alone.


It took a while, and required I take a few steps back, but I finally found what I was looking for. And it came in the most unlikely form: a Highlights magazine-worthy, can you spot the hidden treasure? 


As I found them, I took a quick snap shot. I only had my phone with me, and with nature it’s hard to get up close without startling your subject, so you may have to look a little harder to find what I saw, but I made sure each is visible.


What did I come away with?

Sometimes we get so lost in all the details of the big picture we overlook what’s right in front of us. There are days you may write three pages worth of content and come back later realizing you only have one really good thought.


Treat that little thought like the gem it is. As you cut and polish it you’ll eventually see something of immense value come to light.

I went for a walk looking for inspiration among the water and trees. I came home and found a sentence that changed my perspective and opened a new world of possibilities for my story without requiring any major changes to my overall outline. It was a hidden treasure so to speak. A clue left for me and eventually for my readers.

Which gives me a new quote for my pegboard: Inspiration comes to those who look.

Where have you found inspiration this week? Share in the comment section below!

1 comment:

  1. How true this is.

    My inspiration this week has been in writing flash fiction for my blog. I've come to realize that even something simple can hold wonder for people...and that's only encouraged and excited me to do more!

    ReplyDelete