Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Running with Horses: A Writer’s Reflection

A talented friend training with one of her horses. Courtesy of A. Noble 2011
“…If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?” Jeremiah 12:5

Lord,

You have shown me you know me so much better than I do, and you have a purpose for every high and low point I face. I want to run now, but you have been preparing me to run a much bigger race — one that requires training and preparation.

In your wisdom, you knew I needed to learn how to face criticism as a tool to build me up rather than tear me to pieces.

I needed to learn that the rejection of a particular story wasn’t a rejection of who I am or who I aim to be.

I needed to see there would be days when words would come easily and weeks where they wouldn’t, and that I needed to persevere equally during both seasons.

Anyone can run with men. Lord, I want to run with the horses. Not the tame ones that prance along. I want to be able to keep pace with the mustangs that run and run, and yet never seem to tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment