Thursday, November 3, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness in Writing – Day 3: Morning Walks


It’s easy to focus on the negative in the world around us. In observation of a month many dedicate to counting their blessings, I’ve started a 30-day challenge in which I’ll focus on one aspect of my writing life for which I am thankful. I’d love to have you join by sharing about something that has blessed your own writing life in the comments section below.
 -Jen

While at Youth Group last night one of the high school students shared with me that one of her family members was about to go in for a major operation. He has diabetes and has to have his second leg removed. It’s no surprise that I immediately started wiggling toes and trying to imagine what it would be like to be unable to walk on my own. It took all of a second for me to decide I would probably go insane. It’s hard enough having to constantly read labels to make sure I don’t accidentally poison myself with gluten.

I love going for walks. It’s a simple exercise that allows me to clear my mind, work through conflicts, process story ideas, and it’s amazing getting to see the scenery changing around me on a weekly basis. It also gives me a chance to spend time talking with the people I love without the distraction of texts, e-mail, or phone calls. (Our walks are technology-free zones so we can have 30 minutes to completely unplug.) As I write this I’m just starting to warm up from my trek through the local park. It was 40 degrees out and raining, but as long as I was moving I didn’t really seem to notice.

So today I’m thankful for the ability to exercise — to stretch my arms and legs, and flex my cold fingers and toes.

I’m thankful that I can see the flaming reds and yellows and oranges clinging to branches and covering the ground.

I’m thankful I can hear the geese and ducks arguing with each other while standing on a bridge watching from above.

I’m thankful for the heat I felt seeping through my coffee cup into my mitten-clad hands. For the rich taste that warmed me as I took each sip.

I’m even thankful I could smell that pile a careless dog walker “didn’t notice” their pet left in the middle of the pathway.

It’s so easy to take the little things for granted, but when I stopped to consider them this morning I realized how big an impact each one has on my life. I also realized that without these amazing yet simple abilities my job as a writer would be a much more challenging task.

No comments:

Post a Comment